I haven’t had tuna fish sandwiches in a few years, but I do remember how much I enjoyed eating them. When I came across chickpea or “vegetarian tuna fish” sandwiches I thought it was so weird…but if you’ve every smelled chickpeas they actually do smell kind of fishy. I found a couple recipes online and kind of combined them to create my own. This recipe was adapted from “Better than Tuna Salad: Chickpea Salad” by Full of Beans and “Chickpea Tuna Salad” by MindBodyGreen.
Chickpea “Tuna” Salad/Sandwich
- 1 15oz can of chickpeas (garbanzo beans)
- 1/4 onions (white or red), finely chopped
- 2 celery stalks, finely chopped
- 2-3 baby carrots, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup Vegan mayo (I like Sir Kensington’s Fabinaise Mayo)
- 1/2 TSP to 1 TSP of mustard seed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Mash chickpeas in a bowl (I use a potato masher or fork) – it can be as chunky or as smooth as you prefer.
- Finely chop the onions, celery stalks, and baby carrots. Add to the bowl with the chickpeas.
- Finish adding in the mustard seed and vegan mayo.
- Mix together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Slather on bread or enjoy by itself!